Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of 2009 Part the First

oh yeah! It's that time of the year, when I tell you what music I liked best! Well, this year I am sure it is no surprise that what most appealed to me most was music about fucking things up with someone and then missing them when they leave... what you may be surprised about, is that that someone is not who you might think... it's actually a few someones.. none of whom are bald...

In no particular order:

Brooklyn (acoustic version)
Wakey! Wakey!




One of the the things, maybe the only thing, I like about the show One Tree Hill, is the fantastic music they feature on the program. One of the background characters in this bartender who knows everyone's drink order before they ask him. Well, at the end of the last episode of 2009 the bartender plays this song when no one is looking.

Why is it so great?:

Now, granted, his piano style is not anything to write home about. I think he needs to make friends with a pedal or two or at least back off a little. But, key banging aside, this song is sensitive. It is an admission that hey, I'm not perfect, but I like you and I hope I can see you again at some point, but until then.. I'll miss you. There is no "I want you back" statement and there is no "I'm sorry"... and he shouldn't be sorry... people fuck up when it comes to relationships... I know I do.. and someone once told me that I should never apologize for who I am... neither should this guy!

Best lyrics:
"I guess it's safe to say, we both can use this fire escape, cause I've been breathing ashes and waiting for something to carry you away..."


People Got A Lotta Nerve
Neko Case



Neko Case, makes alt country super sexy, if you ask me... I mean, shit... she's fucking hot, she's irreverent, and she's 39 years old! She doesn't have to explain herself to anyone. She seems to be that sort of love me or leave me woman, the kind I am always jealous of.


Why is it so great?:

It's catchy. It's happy. and it has to piss at least one guy off... one guy out there who thinks they are god's gift, only to get stomped on by a woman that is clearly out of their league. As if they can be the player but can't deal with being played. somebody call the waaaambulance!


Best lyrics:
"It will end again in bullets, friend"

Ras Trent
Andy Samberg



Andy Samberg is funny... Jewish... and has a good job. All he needs to do is gain a few pounds and grow a beard and he would be A-OK in my book.

Why is it so great?:

Ok, so I go to a a few shows here and there and I have to say, douche bags like this are all over the place. Trustafarians... it's about time someone paid them homage, huh, Dave Matthews?

Best Lyrics:
"Me toil part time at Ja Cold Stone Creamery"


Sweet Disposition
The Temper Trap



Like so many bands who find success through catchy songs that work so well in numerous soundtracks, The Temper Trap will most likely find that they are a mere, one... maybe two hit wonder. Well, in the US anyway...

Why is it so great?:

If you knew me a few years ago, you would remember me as an optimist... and I think that deep down I still am. This song brings that happy Renee out that is so rare these days. But all that aside, this song is an example of spectacular musicianship. Their drummer is amazing and the vocals are phenomenal. I am interested to hear more, but I am pretty sure this will be the last we will be hearing from these peeps...

Best Lyrics:
"songs of desperation...I played them for you"


... more soon... I promise!

1 comment: