Sunday, February 24, 2008

...I am Trying to Break Your Heart...


I just got back from the Wilco show at the Tower Theatre. I have seen Wilco a few times in the past few years and it has become clear to me that I will never be a super-delegate for Wilco. I really like their sound, but I am not sure that what they are doing is all that innovative, rather, it seems as though they are trying to create a non-cohesive wall of sound full of pits, peaks, and valleys. Slutty, dirty, dirty pits, peaks, and valleys!


I started to get excited because Jeff and the Wilcos were surprisingly honky tonk at the beginning of their set, but the... he changed guitars, and they became the Beatles (well, more like the Beatles falling down the stairs.) They soon stopped being the Beatles for a minute and started being Wilco, but that only lasted a few songs. I like them in the studio, but their songs, when performed independently from an album, do not go together well.


With that said... let me not lie... their songs are amazing. Not every tune has a hook and there are many different musical elements in one song. If you don't know their material very well, it's almost like you don't know what to expect and you are unsure where you are going to end up. Wilco is exciting because they present clean and well packaged pieces of music that are driven by these bursts of hot sexy nasty riffs which end quickly and make you desperate for just a little bit more. Sadly, they move on, and you're left to ponder what was.


Final Thought:


Good show
Jeff Likes his brown jacket
John Bonham aside, Glenn Kotche is quite possibly the hardest working drummer ever... EVER
Go see them! It's a great time and they have good merch!


2 comments:

josh pincus is crying said...

I liked Uncle Tupelo, but I stopped listening to Wilco after Being There. "Captain Wow" wanted to see them, so I obliged.
Like I told "Captain Wow", the songs I recognized were good. The songs I didn't recognize (and there were a lot) sounded like The Eagles. And I never liked The Eagles.
My assessment of Wilco: average band who thinks they are are a lot better than they really are.

Dee said...

Absolutely loved them, especially the openers from the "Wilco/Billy Bragg" compilations!

But, I do think that Tweedy and his new "Large Band" will play better in a festival/outdoorsy type of venue this summer.

Great, great show!